Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reliance and Rest

Today I'm relying on my theme verse from Jeremiah.  Our son and his wife are going through some troubling times, and details aren't needed here.  However, quite often as parents our children's troubles become our troubles -- we need to pray for them, we need to hold them in our thoughts more, we need to encourage them, we need to be there for them.  So, those troubles come to visit us in our relationship and in our home.

When I read Jeremiah 29:11, I find great comfort for is the Lord upon whom I rely but more so now.  Troubling times tend to cause us to seek Him more than usual.  Why is that?  Is it that we forget He is there waiting for us to call on Him?  Is it because we really don't need Him unless something is wrong?  This can't be the case and shouldn't be.  For He is in control and knows the plans He has made for each one of us.  The Lord our God also promises to follow through, and on that we can rely.  Have you ever known Him to fail you?  Maybe He doesn't provide the answer you or I seek but He carries through on His promise to reveal His plans for us.  We can rely on Him to do just that.

Knowing we can rely on Him means that we can now rest.  We can rest in His loving arms finding comfort and peace.  But only if we have gone to Him and said I need You, not just today but always.  Not just when there are troubles afoot but always.  I want to see the plans You have for me.  I want to stay close to You.

Then there is the reliance and rest we so long for in times of need and trouble, but also receive on those days when all seems to be going well.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you
and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV 1984)

1 comment:

  1. oh I learned that yesterday! to rely on him when my life is out of my hands!
    thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete