Saturday, August 21, 2010

Painful News

Not all news is good.  We all have learned that.  Somehow though we forget and suddenly we're caught offguard much like we were this week.  A dear friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer, so agressive a double mastectomy is recommended.  Another friend is said to be undergoing cancer surgery soon.  Yet another friend is near the end of his battle with a tumor similar to that which took the life Sen. Edward (Ted) Kennedy.

The latter we knew was coming sooner or later, and yet the news that things were "nearing the end of the road" came as shocking.  The other two bits of news came at us right out of left field, so to speak.  Painful news no matter how we sorted it out.  And what do we do with such news?  How do we help those who must be suffering the agonies of coping with staggering diagnoses and the loss of one's mate of 43 years?

In my world, there is only one way.  Turn to the Master of all.  Lay my prayers at His feet and petition His grace, comfort, and perhaps healing in some instances.  "And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."  ~~ Matthew 28:20.  Such comfort to know that He is always there, even to the last breath we take.  This is all I can offer right now -- my prayers, my faith, my hope, and this Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment